Mike Peck is the Creative Director for Brand Expression, Art and Illustration at Starbucks. He leads an incredible team if designers, illustrators and art directors who drive the brand's illustration, art and branding. If you are one of the millions of Americans who received aa Starbucks Card for Christmas this past year you have Mike and his team to thank for design. For the past few years he has led all things packaging at Starbucks Coffee Company.
Six years ago he lead the brand's identity refresh and re-imagining of the company’s core packaging. Other accomplishments include the full redesign of Starbucks core coffee line, as well as the recent redesign of the higher end Starbucks Reserve Coffee line. Mike also oversaw the global design of all ready-to-drink packaging, including DoubleShot, Frappuccino and Via.
Prior to Starbucks he was the associate design director at Lowe NY, a full-service advertising agency. There he worked on brands like Milk, Bank of America, Verizon Wireless and the New York Times.
In 2013 Mike gave the keynote speech at the Dieline / How Design Conference. He has been a judge for the Dieline Packaging Awards as well as the Art Directors Club 83rd international show (at just age 27). His past design work has been recognized by the One Club and Cannes.
Oh, and he’s an extreme coffee nut, who also coaches two little league baseball teams in his spare time.
Creative Director, Advertising and Brand Expression. Starbucks Global Creative, March 2015 - Current
• Responsible for building In-House advertising creative capabilities, card design, art program and branding.
• Record $1.9 billion loaded on Starbucks Cards in the U.S. and Canada in Q1 2016
1 in 6 American adults received a Starbucks Card over Holiday, up from 1 in 7 in Q1 FY15
Creative Director, Packaging and Brand Expression. Starbucks Global Creative, April 2012 - March 2015
• Responsible for all global packaging, brand expression, card design and music for Starbucks.
• Managing a team of up to 22, between 5 teams.
• Leading the redesign of the core Starbucks retail coffee packaging.
• Leading the redesign of the seasonal lineup of limited coffees.
• Led the branding and packaging for the Verismo coffee system. This includes machine and coffee pod packaging as well as future machine development
• Provided published feedback on retail trends for PSFK’s annual Future of Retail guide in both 2011 and 2012
• Spoke as the keynote speaker for the 2013 Dieline Conference.
Senior Design Manager, Branding and Packaging. Starbucks Global Creative, June 2008 - April 2012
• Managed the design of the global RTD packaging lineup, a 1.46 billion dollar business
• Managed a team of five designers and one art buyer: this included workloads, career development and quality of design
• Led the working team in the development of the new Starbucks branding program, from logo to guidelines.
• Launched new product platforms such as Refreshers. Rebranded packaging for Starbucks Ice Cream, Hot Cocoa, DoubleShot and the Frappuccino line
• Spoke at the 2011 Dieline/How design conference in Chicago and the Dieline Forum in San Francisco about the updated Starbucks logo
Senior Art Director, Manager, Starbucks Global Creative, November 2007 - June 2008
• Created the Treat Receipt. This was cited as a key piece of the business turnaround during the recession
• Developed the platform and manifesto for Starbucks Shared Planet, the companies CSR platform
Associate Design Director, Lowe New York, February 2004 - August 2007
• Managed a small team of designers
• New business wins for BCG, Macys, Bank of America (account save) and Degree for Men
• Won an internal agency competition to attend the Cannes Advertising Festival for work done for Got Milk?
• Advertising judge for the 83rd annual Art Directors Club Awards (‘04)
Senior graphic designer, Bozell New York, October 1999 - February 2004
• Branding and identity work, graphic standards, type design and annual reports for agency clients
• Agency redesign of identity systems and promotional materials
• Conceptual and experimental design of print ads
BFA, University of Arizona, Tucson
Major: Graphic Design / Visual Communications