Mike Peck is a Branding, Packaging and Creative Strategy Leader based in Seattle Washington. For the past year he has been with Brooks Running as their Head of Creative Design, leading a team of designers creating packaging, marketing and branding materials for the worlds greatest running brand. Prior to that he spent a short bit of time at Microsoft as a Creative Director in the Office Creative Studio focusing on branding and brand expression.
For the better part of nine years Mike worked as a design and creative leader at Starbucks, more than half of that time as a Creative Director. While in the studio there he managed a variety of design teams, from branding and packaging to merchandise design, illustration and even the fine art program.
Eight years ago he lead the brand's identity refresh and re-imagining of the company’s core packaging. Other accomplishments include the full redesign of Starbucks core coffee line, as well as the redesign of the higher end Starbucks Reserve Coffee line. For three years Mike led the full packaging design team and for six years he led the Creative Studio’s global ready-to-drink packaging team.
Prior to Starbucks he was the associate design director at Lowe NY, a full-service advertising agency. There he worked on brands like Milk, Bank of America, Verizon Wireless and the New York Times.
In 2013 Mike gave a keynote speech at the Dieline / How Design Conference. He has been a judge multiple times for the Dieline Packaging Awards as well as the Art Directors Club 83rd international show (at just age 27). His past design work has been recognized by the One Club and Cannes.
Oh, and he’s an extreme coffee nut, who also coaches little league baseball in his spare time.
Head of Creative Design. Brooks Running, October 2017 -
• Lead a team of amazing designers who are both more talented and faster runners than me. Together we create retail promotions, packaging, branding and digital content for the worlds best running brand.
• Leading the evolution of the Brooks Brand Expression.
• Art directing video and print content for Brooks sponsorship of the Special Olympics USA Games. If you don’t know about Andy and Colleen their stories are amazing. https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/2018-special-olympics-usa-games.html
Creative Director, Brand Expression. Microsoft Office, January 2017 - September 2017
• Responsible for growing the In-House creative team, upleveling the design of the brand and managing agency creative
• Leading the full redesign of the Office Marketing Guidelines
Creative Director, Brand Expression. Starbucks Global Creative, March 2015 - October 2016
• Responsible for building In-House advertising creative capabilities, gift card design, in-store art program and branding
• Record $1.9 billion loaded on Starbucks Cards in the U.S. and Canada in Q1 Fiscal Year 2016
1 in 6 American adults received a Starbucks Card over Holiday, up from 1 in 7 in Q1 FY15
Creative Director, Packaging and Brand Expression. Starbucks Global Creative, April 2012 - March 2015
• Responsible for all global packaging, brand expression, card design and music for Starbucks.
• Managing a team of up to 22, between 5 teams.
• Leading the redesign of the core Starbucks retail coffee packaging.
• Leading the redesign of the seasonal lineup of limited coffees.
• Led the branding and packaging for the Verismo coffee system. This includes machine and coffee pod packaging as well as future machine development
• Provided published feedback on retail trends for PSFK’s annual Future of Retail guide in both 2011 and 2012
• Spoke as the keynote speaker for the 2013 Dieline Conference.
Senior Design Manager, Branding and Packaging. Starbucks Global Creative, June 2008 - April 2012
• Managed the design of the global RTD packaging lineup, a 1.46 billion dollar business
• Managed a team of five designers and one art buyer: this included workloads, career development and quality of design
• Led the working team in the development of the new Starbucks branding program, from logo to guidelines.
• Launched new product platforms such as Refreshers. Rebranded packaging for Starbucks Ice Cream, Hot Cocoa, DoubleShot and the Frappuccino line
• Spoke at the 2011 Dieline/How design conference in Chicago and the Dieline Forum in San Francisco about the updated Starbucks logo
Senior Art Director, Manager, Starbucks Global Creative, November 2007 - June 2008
• Created the Treat Receipt. This was cited as a key piece of the business turnaround during the recession
• Developed the platform and manifesto for Starbucks Shared Planet, the companies CSR platform
Associate Design Director, Lowe New York, February 2004 - August 2007
• Managed a small team of designers
• New business wins for BCG, Macys, Bank of America (account save) and Degree for Men
• Won an internal agency competition to attend the Cannes Advertising Festival for work done for Got Milk?
• Advertising judge for the 83rd annual Art Directors Club Awards (‘04)
Senior graphic designer, Bozell New York, October 1999 - February 2004
• Branding and identity work, graphic standards, type design and annual reports for agency clients
• Agency redesign of identity systems and promotional materials
• Conceptual and experimental design of print ads
BFA, University of Arizona, Tucson
Major: Graphic Design / Visual Communications